Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The long awaited arrival

After an epic 36 hour journey from LAX through Tapei and Kuala Lumpur, I arrived in Bangalore, India, slithering past customs despite carrying 500 "birthing kits" equipped with a myriad of small razors. Don't ask me how. I then took a 2.5 hour bumpy taxi ride in the Indian night, arriving at the steps of Public Health Research Institute (PHRI) at 3AM, our work place and humble abode. The security gaurd, Rongay Gota, shuttles me in, leads me up the marble steps, and opens the door to my room. There, my two roomates, Paul and Naomi, Berkeley MPH students, are sleeping peacefully. Rongay Gota hits on all the lights, shines his flashlight in their eyes and starts screaming, for his own pure amusement... hello hello hello!! And with that, I hopped into bed. I was sad to see Mom go at LAX airport, but I have this gem to watch:

Welcome to the house. The first floor consists of a few PHRI office rooms and a marble entry hall with a water-less foutain. A couple bedrooms are located upstairs. The shower is a bucket and water system which brings me back to the good old days in the Belizean rainforest. Sometimes it just feels so good to dump a bucket a water over your head. You know?

I found my morning spot. At the top of the steps, behind that left grey column, my back against the white wall. Rongay Gota makes "super deluxe" chai tea (pictures to come) which consists of (no exagerations here): 1 part chai and 8 parts sugar. Intense. So there I sit, drinking sugar tea and reading my book. Sometimes the monkeys play in the yard, which is nice.

A peaceful beginning to each day.


1 comment:

Dayle Freeman said...

Love the blog! I miss you terribly. Want to go shopping with the Leo rising man, love his philosophy. manaste my love